The sun has got his hat on… B.B.Q hooray!
Make the most of the last Bank Holiday of the Summer, get outdoors and fire up the BBQ, with this vegan burger and salad recipe!
– 2 x 400 g tins of black beans
– 1 red onion
– 1 fresh red chilli
– ½ a bunch of fresh coriander
– 1 lime, plus extra to serve
– 2 handfuls of rolled oats
– 2 tablespoon salted peanuts
– ½ teaspoon ground coriander
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– olive oil
– plain flour, for dusting
– 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
– 6 bread rolls, or 12 slices of ciabatta
– 1 ripe avocado
– fresh tomato salsa
– baby rocket
1. Drain the beans, peel and coarsely grate the onion and deseed and
finely chop the chilli. Pick the coriander leaves. Finely grate the lime
2. Blitz the oats and nuts in a food processor until coarsely
chopped. Add 1½ tins of beans, the onion, chilli, ground coriander and
cumin, coriander leaves, lime zest and a good drizzle of oil; blitz to
3. Add remaining beans and pulse just once or twice, so they stay a
little chunky. Transfer to a bowl.
4. Divide into 6 balls then flatten into burgers on a clean surface
dusted with flour and smoked paprika. Place on a tray and chill for at
least an hour.
5. If using bread rolls, split in half. Place the bread, cut-side
down, on the grill and cook until lightly charred. Set aside.
6. Cook the burgers for 4 to 5 minutes each side, or until lightly
charred and cooked through.
7. Scatter rocket on 6 roll halves or slices of bread, top with
burgers. Top with fresh tomato salsa, slices of avocado, rocket and the
remaining bread slices. Serve with lime cheeks for squeezing over.