Modern day life can be stressful and a lack of relaxation and self care is the reason behind many health problems. There are some simple things that you can do every day to enhance relaxation and show yourself some self care.
1. Me-time – Set aside 15 minutes a day to do something that is just for you. It might be to read something you’ve been meaning to read, going for a walk or making a nutritious juice.
2. Daily meditation – remember this doesn’t have to be sitting with your legs crossed for hours chanting om. There are many ways to bring your focus inwards, try listening to some peaceful music, use a meditation app (we like Third Ear), or simply close your eyes and relax quietly for 10 minutes.
3. Exercise – Moving your body is a great way of showing yourself some love. Mix up your routine by incorporating cardio, strength and relaxation. When you are going through periods of high stress, it’s better to do something gentle to nourish your body allowing it to move out of that ‘fight or flight’ mode the sympathetic nervous state and move into the ‘rest and digest’ mode the parasympathetic nervous state.
4. Eat nutritious food – it’s all too easy to reach for the junk food when going through stressful periods but this only makes you feel worse. Respect and care for your body by feeding it with healthy, delicious nutritious foods. Your body and mind will thank you for it.
5. Turn your phone off – put some time aside to be alone and enjoy some peace and quiet. That means time away from instagram & social media too. Many of us are spending far too much time on our phones. Having some time off, disconnecting from the screen and reconnecting with yourself will do wonders for your health.