Are you feeling the winter bug? Christmas cough caught you? We’ve got a delicious healing and immune boosting soup that will kick that cold right out of your life and boost your immune system, ensuring that you are strong, full of beans and ready to celebrate on Christmas day.
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 large white onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 celery stalks, sliced
450g shitake mushrooms
1.5 tsp sea salt
0.25 tsp black pepper
1 tsp turmeric
2.8 litres water
4 heads baby bok choy
0.5 head kale, chopped
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
1. Chop off the bottom stems from your mushrooms and discard. (Only discard the very bottom of the stems and not the full stems as these contain many nutritional benefits) Chop mushrooms into large pieces.
2. Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium head
3. Add onions and saute until translucent
4. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute
5. Add celery and mushrooms and sautee for about 10 minutes, until mushrooms have wilted
6. Add spices and water and bring to a boil
7. Let it simmer, covered for 1 hour – or longer if you want to. The longer you leave it the better!
8. Add bok choy and kale in the last 10 minutes to wilt
9. If you like things hot – garnish with fresh chilli or chilli flakes
10. Serve warm or store for up to 1 week in fridge
Sit back, relax, enjoy and feel the benefits!
WHY SO GOOD?
Mushrooms – The star of the show! These little babies are a powerful source of Vitamin D which keeps our bones, teeth and muscles healthy. They also contain Ergothioneine which is a powerful antioxidant what helps to reduce and eliminate free radicals.
Coconut Oil – Another helpful ingredient that strengthens our immune system due to it containing antimicrobial lipids such as lauric acid, caprylic acid and capric acid which all have anti-fungal, bacterial and viral properties. It also helpt to improve digestion as the saturated fats present which have antimicrobial properties help to deal with various bacteria, fungi and parasites that can cause indigestion.
Garlic – Garlic contains alliin which when digested converts to allicin which is believed to be the major antibacterial compound in garlic. Eating this miracle food can boost the number of t-cells in your bloodstream which fight viruses. Garlic is also a great ingredient for prevention of illness as well as reducing the severity of symptoms.
Turmeric – Turmeric, the mother of anti-inflammatory. It contains an antioxidant called curcumin which is what is responsible for decreasing inflammation. Curcumin is so powerful that it actually matches the ability to reduce inflammation to the same extent of some anti-inflammatory drugs.
Bok Choy – Bok choy is super high in Vitamin A which is absolutely essential for your immune system to function properly. It also contains a high amount of vitamin C and antioxidants that protect the body from free radicals.
Kale – The king of the greens and an absolutely powerhouse. It is jam packed full of iron along with being a great source of vitamins and antioxidants. It is high in Vitamin K which protects the body from illnesses, it is anti-inflammatory, high in calcium and a great detox food keeping your liver supported and healthy.